"If we hope to create a non-violent world where respect and kindness replace fear and hatred, we must begin with how we treat each other at the begining of life. For that is where our deepest patterns are set. From these roots grow fear and alienation or love and trust."
Suzanne Arms

Friday, March 11, 2011

Dagyn Beannacht Mason

 Thanks everyone for the kind words and congrats!!  We are really enjoying our little guy!  On his 1 week birthday last night we all laid hands on him and thanked God for a safe birth, a healthy baby and for future health and happiness for him.

A minute or so after birth
 I have been informed (thanks KM) that I neglected to announce the name we chose for our little one! (bad Kelley, bad Kelley).  At about 2 days old we settled on Dagyn Beannacht.  
With his placenta, a few hours after birth
Dagyn is pronounced Day-gin (like Meagan).  There are many different ways you can spell it and apparently each spelling can also be pronounced differently.  This spelling is often pronounced like da-jin but that was a bit 'Sweedish' for us so we are sticking with pronouncing it our way.  The name is Hebrew for 'grain or wheat' or gaelic for 'dark haired'. Since neither of those applied to our Dagyn we went with the Gaelic word Beannacht, which means "blessing".  It is pronounced like Bannock but with a "t" at the end.

first bath, less than 1 day old


I have really enjoyed my week in bed!  I am pretty sad the week is over, it went by WAY too fast.  I loved just cuddling up with him and nursing and having everyone take care of me and bring me food (and we have SO much great food here . . . which is good because I am always very hungry and everything tastes SO good!!).  I plan to continue to take it easy for as long as possible.
We actually went out for the first time today.  We went by a friends house, the chiropractor, and to JoAnns so I could get some fabric to make him a baby blanket.  I usually love going out with my newborns and showing them off to people.  But I was really anxious to come home and crawl in bed and cuddle again.

1st picture of the family together . . . 1 day after birth
Hopefully this weekend I can get the new blog up and running, get some 'stills' off of the video camera and get the birth story (which is pretty much finished) posted.

3 comments:

  1. I normally read and don't comment...but I was trying to come back and comment on Dagyn's birth story and the link didn't work. Anyway, I wanted to stop by and say congratulations, but also that I found reading your birth story so wonderful. I've just come back to my religion (we are Catholic), and I was just captivated reading your story...you have such strong faith in God, and I found it so inspirational. I'm striving to have that kind of faith, for me and for my children. So thank you so much for sharing...I really needed to read that, and it strengthened my faith just reading about yours!

    -Christa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christa,
    So sorry. My internet has been acting up lately (because of the weather). I went in to add a picture to the birth story and my internet went out and somehow when it started working again it had deleted the story from my page. I freaked! But thankfully had a copy saved in my drafts, so I just reposted it. Thankfully, it was only down for like 10 min. (this is what happens when you live on a mountain and have limited internet choices). It actually took me over an hour to get this response to post, ugh.

    Anyway if you wanted to go back and put your comment there you can.

    I really do appreciate you writing! It is sometimes a lot of pressure (not to mention lots of time) when you 'put yourself out there' like that but I think it is worth it to share with others. You have no idea what a blessing it is to hear comments like yours so thank YOU!! If you haven't read my other 3 unassisted birth stories you may like them too. They are all about me trying to just have faith and trust. It is not an easy thing to do. My previous birth (#5) was hard. Well my first birth was the hardest but I don't go into detail with my first 2 as much.

    Again, thanks so much for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have checked just at the wrong time then! I was just determined to send you my comment...I had been thinking all day about how I wanted to let you know...so I was like, "guess I'll put it elsewhere". :)

    Trust me, I meant every word. I only wish I had better words to describe how much reading your story meant to me! It is so helpful...I can think of you and how strong your faith is and how I aspire to that kind of faith when I'm feeling like I am faltering. Your words came to me (and straight into my inbox :), nonetheless) when I truly needed them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails