"If we hope to create a non-violent world where respect and kindness replace fear and hatred, we must begin with how we treat each other at the begining of life. For that is where our deepest patterns are set. From these roots grow fear and alienation or love and trust."
Suzanne Arms

Thursday, March 4, 2010

I'm back!

Sorry I have been MIA for the past few weeks.  Get this . . . my "high speed" was out!  (note I put "high speed" in quotes, because calling it that is questionablee).  You know, I can function fine as long as the things around me function, but when my "high speed" goes out or the computer quits working . . . it is extremely frustrating . . . because I don't really have the time or mental energy to put towards fixing it, but I HAVE to have it!!  So for 2 wks I was using dial up, and with only 1 phone jack in the house . . . it was not only slow but difficult.  It is painfully slow, I mean surfing the net . . . forget it, and I am stuck in the kitchen where the phone jack is.

I use Hughesnet, which I have always hated, because their daily limits are so low that the kids can't even play online games without tripping the Fair Access Policy and then they shut me down for the day.  Oh plus the fact that I will have no signal for days if we have fog or anything (which we have a lot up here).  And I have had to call them numerous times for 'problems'.  But you know when you live in a remote area you are really limited to what you can use. 

So I ended up calling them, which I hate with a passion.  Basically I can never understand them which is fine unless you have background noise of kids, then it is me saying "excuse me, can you please say that again" like a million times!  I feel like my head is going to explode!!  I was on the phone for like an hour and 1/2.  I have to plan ahead, I had the kids upstairs playing and Thrace had just gone down for a nap.  Well with me gone he only stayed asleep for 20 min but he was fine and playing in the room with me so that was no problem.  But the kids only lasted 45 min (which was REALLY good for them) then they were in the room, being loud, trying to talk to me, climbing on the computer (that I am working on because they have me doing all this stuff on the computer to troubleshoot, redirect the signal etc.).  I must have told the guy to hold on like a dozen timw.  CRAZY!!  Basically they told me that they don't service my unit but they do service the upgraded one.  But I didn't upgrade because I didn't want to have to sign another 2 yr contract (I don't want to be stuck with them for 2 more years). So I could try to find someone locally to come out and see what the problem was (because we couldn't figure it out on the phone).  Ummm, I think NOT (not paying for that!)  They thought the dish was pointed wrong or something.  And I pay $60/mo for this!

Anyway so 2 wks I have NO signal at all.  Then a few days ago, out of the blue, it starts working again!!  It has gone off once since then for a day (it WAS foggy) but so far so good!!  So I am praying it keeps working, at least till we move.

Anyway during those 2 wks we tried a Sprint mobile hot spot (which is really a cool little device) but I couldn't get a signal up here anywhere in the house.  We could still try the Verizon mobile hot spot if my Hughes craps out again.  It also has a limit but if you go over they don't cut you off, just charge you more.  And it is wireless and will run 5 devices (you have to be within like 20-30 ft).  I really wished it worked because I really wanted to drop Hughes.  Ah well, at least I am back for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails